TITLE: Academy Faculty Member
STATUS: Part-time and non-exempt
REPORTS TO: The Centre for Dance Education Dean, Sharon Story
DATE: May 2023
The Academy Faculty Member assists the Dean and is responsible for teaching classes, conducting rehearsals, supporting choreographers, and staging ballets. The focus is to inspire and achieve technical development combined with the artistic growth of the dancers. The Academy Faculty Member will work closely with Dean, Academy Faculty and other departments of Atlanta Ballet to coordinate casting, rehearsals, and productions during the season.
- Teach Academy class throughout the season including optional classes
- Teach, coach and train Academy dancers
- Develop and maintain artistic standards, building the overall quality of the dancers
- Study works as needed to be prepared to conduct rehearsals and stage ballets
- Maintain all ballets assigned in a fashion which is true to the original choreography
- Work with choreographers/repetiteurs in advance to determine rehearsal needs
- Communicate with choreographers/stagers when they are not on-site regarding the upkeep of their work
- Assist Dean in Academy dancers’ annual evaluation process
- Coordinate and communicate necessary casting changes to administrative staff, assist in developing and maintaining effective team-working within and between departments
- Attend all Faculty meetings and Atlanta Ballet organizational meetings
- Attend performances to maintain all aspects of the works being performed
- Operate sound, video and other technical equipment in the studio
- Audition and recruit new dancers for the Academy and provide feedback on auditionees to the Dean
- Teach classes and company repertoire to students during Summer Intensive program
- Demonstrate tact, diplomacy, and discretion in all interactions, especially in handling sensitive and confidential information.
Experience / Skills:
- Extensive classical ballet training and 10 years performance experience with major ballet companies
- Previous Professional Training experience
- Impart training and knowledge in coaching Vaganova style, pedagogy degree preferable
- Experience of performing in various ranks (including corps de ballet and soloist or equivalent) on a wide range of repertoire
- Substantial experience teaching and coaching classically trained students
- Ability and experience coaching point work and female repertoire
- Extensive knowledge of classical repertoire and ballet history, as well as contemporary dance styles
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills including working knowledge of MS Office, Zoom, Teams, record keeping, notating, scheduling, and routine computer skills
- Must have a solid commitment toward diversity, inclusion, and equity
Compensation and Benefits
Atlanta Ballet provides a competitive and equitable compensation package with salary range of $50,000 - $60000 annually.
Candidates must be fully vaccinated and boosted against Covid-19.
Applications and Inquiries
Please contact HRinfo@atlantaballet.com for inquiries and to submit a cover letter and resume for consideration.
Atlanta Ballet’s diversity, equity, and inclusion goals are to more fully reflect the diversity of its community; for performances to attract and resonate with Atlanta’s diverse communities; for everyone who works at Atlanta Ballet to feel valued for the contributions and competencies; and for everyone in the Atlanta Ballet community to have a sense of belonging, regardless of race, color, gender, age, ethnicity, socioeconomic background, religion or sexual orientation.